3-G International, Inc. announced last week the availability of Passage Enterprise, a turnkey multiple application smart card solution for corporations and other organizations. The 3GI offering includes six smart card applications, all required software and hardware, and a card management system that allows organizations to issue personalized multiple application smart cards to employees.
The Passage Enterprise system features public key smart cards and a wide range of logical security and physical access applications. 3GI’s solution also includes a card management system, which enables system administrators to personalize the smart cards, encode the cards with specific data, issue, track, and replace cards. The offering includes comprehensive training, installation services, and documentation to support customer installations and 3GI partners.
“Passage Enterprise is an affordable, turnkey smart card solution for corporate environments of any size,” commented John McKeon, 3GI’s Director of Smart Card Solutions. “With Passage Enterprise, we’re making it very easy for card issuers, IT providers, and others to offer a comprehensive smart card solution to their corporate customers. Those customers will realize the security and convenience of advanced smart card technology in a fully integrated and extensible card system.”
Passage Enterprise enables corporations and other organizations to increase the security of their networks and data by requiring the use of smart cards as an access token for logging on to PCs, Networks, Web Servers, and other data repositories. Passage also enables cardholders to use cards to digitally sign email messages in standard email packages and encrypt sensitive data. The smart card provides an added layer of security because it stores digital certificates, digital keys, and biometric templates securely on its computer chip rather than on a computer hard drive which is more vulnerable to attack.
In addition to the logical security and network access applications, the Passage Enterprise solution includes physical access and related inventory management applications. One card controls access to physical facilities, corporate facilities and events, as well as to IT networks.
Passage Enterprise is an open architecture smart card solution, and includes support for multiple types of public key smart cards, standard web browsers and email packages from Microsoft and Netscape, standard x.509 digital certificates, and standard encryption and network security protocols such as Secured Socket Layer protocol version 3 (SSL3) and SMIME.
3GI intends to work closely with its hardware partners and other organizations in the distribution of the solution. According to Steven Humphries, CEO of SCM Microsystems Inc. in Los Gatos, CA “SCM Microsystems is looking forward to working closely with 3GI as a primary hardware supplier for the Passage Enterprise smart card solution. SCM has a long history of working with 3GI in delivering smart card solutions to the market, and this offering is a good example of the value added smart card solutions we can offer.” SCM Microsystems is the leading global smart card reader manufacturer and a featured hardware component in Passage Enterprise.
For further information on Passage Enterprise, visit 3GI’s Web Site at [www.3gi.com].
ABOUT PASSAGE ENTERPRISE APPLICATIONS
– Secure Web Access — Protects access to sensitive data published as Web documents on an enterprise intranet/extranet. A digital certificate and the user’s public/private key pair stored on the card allows the user to complete public key mutual authentication with the enterprise web server and achieve access to privileged data.
– Network Security — Passage Enterprise makes secure network access fast and convenient with single sign-on capability, including several applications that manage access to workstations, networks, and sensitive data.
– Secure Email — The storage of a digital certificate and key pair on the card allows users to digitally sign and/or encrypt data sent via electronic mail. This operation works with popular e-mail applications such as MS Outlook or Outlook Express.
– PC Logon/Screen Saver — The personalized public key smart cards enable users to log on to Windows NT Operating Systems securely and supports biometrics verification. Workstations are set up to require cards for access and to lock the workstation when cards are removed.
– Physical Access — The application uses smart cards to control facility access. The application allows security managers to create, assign, modify, and remove electronic keys for specific locations and to write specific keys to employee smart cards
– Property Pass — The Property Pass application provides increased accountability and control over property and equipment such as laptop computers. Property is reliably and conveniently tracked as checkout permissions are assigned to users via the card.
– Event Ticketing — Registration and coordination of corporate events is streamlined with this general tracking application. Both event organizers and attendees enjoy greater convenience. In addition, attendance tracking is made simpler and more accurate.
– Card Management — A comprehensive card management system, enabling system administrators to personalize, encode, print, update, issue, hot-list, and track individual smart cards quickly and easily.
3-G International, Inc. is the leading U.S. smart card solutions company and has provided multiple application smart card solutions to industry and government since 1991. 3GI offers a wide range of smart card applications and solutions including financial, internet security, electronic payments, and card system management. 3GI is based in Springfield, Virginia and has branch offices in Williamsburg, Honolulu, San Francisco, Raleigh, Edinburgh, and Shenzhen, China. 3GI was recently recognized as one of the fastest growing privately-held U.S. companies in the Inc. 500 survey. 3GI can be found on the World Wide Web at [www.3gi.com].