DiscoverÂ® Card is stepping up its commitment to college football fans this season, launching the “Discover Gets You on GameDay Challenge,” a national contest with a grand prize trip to the Rose Bowl and a cameo on ESPN College GameDay bowl edition January 1. The announcement was made today by Ed Erhardt, president, Customer Marketing & Sales, ESPN/ABC Sports and Ashoke Dutt, executive vice president, Discover Financial Services, Inc.
The new two-year agreement, which renews Discover Card’s sponsorship affiliation with GameDay, will feature Discover Card Tailgate, an interactive fan-fest at all GameDay live remotes. This program also provides Discover Card with multi-media exposure on College GameDay and other ESPN/ABC college football platforms including ABC sports game broadcasts and presence on Bowl Championship Series games.
Contestants will log on to ESPN.com each week to pick three marquee games. Every correct prediction is an entry into the sweepstakes. At season’s end, the top 25 finalists will be required to send audition tapes to GameDay producers, who will review each tape. The winner will appear during GameDay’s live bowl edition Jan. 1, 2002 from the Rose Bowl and will make predictions for the BCS games.
“Discover Card’s overall goal is to leverage its media plan and the excitement of ESPN College GameDay to Cardmembers in an impactful way,” said John Birmingham, manager, integrated marketing, Discover Financial Services Inc. “We approached ESPN with a plan that would bring our Cardmembers off the sidelines and into the action. The Discover Card Tailgate and the contest both help extend the program to our Cardmembers nationwide.”
“This agreement exemplifies the value to our clients of integrating different ESPN platforms as marketing vehicles to boost brand affinity with sports fans,” said Erhardt.
Coming off its best season in 2000 and a Sports Emmy nomination, College GameDay with host Chris Fowler and analysts Lee Corso and Kirk Herbstreit will expand to a new 90-minute format beginning this fall.
Highlights of the Discover Card agreement:
* Discover Card Tailgate: Discover Card will provide an on-site promotional truck with a replica of the show’s set at each College GameDay (days leading) live remote. Fans visiting the truck will be able to tape themselves serving as GameDay host/analyst on the set.
* * ABC Sports: Discover Card ads will run on ABC Sports college football remotes and BCS games.
* * ESPN Radio: Discover Card will be a participating sponsor of ESPN Radio GameDay Tour – a series of live remote broadcasts from select game sites.
* * ESPN The Magazine: Will publish Discover Card ads adjacent to college football editorial
* * ESPN.com: Will partner with Discover Card to develop a separate URL for fans
* * Other: The campaign will be featured on other ESPN Inc. football programming including ESPN Classic Friday Night College Football and ESPN Plus College Football Halftime Reports.Details