Smart card specialist Gemplus reported that second quarter net sales were up 12% to $285.8 million and that gross profits rose nearly 18% to $96.8 million. The Company said it achieved its highest gross margin in four years and its ninth consecutive quarter of continuous strong progress during the quarter. In the financial services sector, Gemplus posted a 12% gain in sales to $60.8 million. In total, Gemplus shipped 16.8 million smart payment cards, up 30% year-on-year. Payment microprocessor card revenue rose 31% year-on-year. Bank cards continued to grow very strongly, driven by broad activity in EMV deployment across all regions, particularly in the UK and Turkey. The second quarter saw the first EMV shipments by Gemplus to the Netherlands, Italy and Japan. For complete details on Gemplus’ second quarter performance as well as prior quarters, visit CardData ([www.carddata.com]).
Gemplus Gross Sales Track Record
2Q/04: $254.7 million
3Q/04: $259.7 million
4Q/04: $293.4 million
1Q/05: $238.7 million
2Q/05: $285.8 million
Source: CardData (www.carddata.com)